Skip to main content



Lambda Chi Alpha records

Lambda Chi Alpha : Xi Zeta chapter records

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid

Lambda Chi Alpha : Xi Zeta Chapter records STO.0019.001

Archives of DePauw University and Indiana United Methodism
11 E. Larabee Street
Greencastle, IN
765-658-4406
archives@depauw.edu



Profile Description

Creation: This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2018-05-21T09:35-0400
Language: Description is in English.

Repository: Archives of DePauw University and Indiana United Methodism
creatorLambda Chi Alpha. (DePauw University)
Title: Lambda Chi Alpha : Xi Zeta chapter records
Dates: 1912-1995
Quantity: 6.2 Linear feet, 15.5 document cases
Identification: STO.0019.001
Language:

Collection Statement

The collection includes 7 series, 3 of which are restricted. The restricted material consists of chapter meeting minutes & by-laws, biographical series & report of initiation, and membership records & constitution and statutory codes. Also included are the following non-restricted materials: Events, Programs, Publications, and Clippings; Photographs; Slides; and Oversize materials. Two books entitled, The Paedagogus, 1988 and 1992, complete the collection.


Historical Sketch

Lambda Chi Alpha was founded in 1912 as the Darsee Club which became Xi Zeta chapter of Lambda Chi Alpha in 1915. The Nutt House was rented at 107 S. College Ave., and became the first home of Lambda Chi Alpha at DePauw. Due to the growing membership, the Chapin house at 202 S. Indiana St. was rented in the fall of 1915. The Leuteke house, located at 1010 S. Locust St., became the chapters next home in 1918. Once again, in 1920, LXA had outgrown their home and relocated to the Tilden house at 607 E. Anderson St.. The old home of Dr. Gobin on S. Bloomington St., until now occupied by Alpha Chi Omega, was vacated as the sorority moved into its newly built home. LXA purchased this home at 312 S. Bloomington St., which needed much repair, in 1925. Due to the poor condition of the Gobin house, the alumni house corporation began arrangement for the building of a new house. A new house was built on the site of the Gobin house on Bloomington St.. It was dedicated on Dec. 8, 1928. A fire in the early morning hours of May 20, 1971 destroyed the fraternity house. The loss was estimated in excess of $300,000. A new modernistic facility was erected on South College Ave. in 1973. The house closed in the summer of 1995. The building is now a substance-free dormitory known as "College Street Hall".


Lambda Chi Alpha. (DePauw University)

Restrictions

Access Restrictions

Collection is open for research.

Usage Restrictions

Copyright interests for this collection are held by DePauw University.


Related Material

The Paedagogus, 1988: ΛΧΑ, The Fraternity of Honest Friendship

The Paedagogus, 1992: ΛΧΑ, The Fraternity of Honest Friendship

J.O. Cammack file: Lambda Chi Alpha House during construction

Lambda Chi Alpha At DePauw, Vol. 1: LJ 41.D45 L35 1968 (Reading Room)

The History of Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity: LJ 75.L35 L36 1992


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK